Is Your Boiler or Furnace on the Fritz?
These easy fixes could save you a service call
Here in northern New Jersey, the first frost can come in late October, so it’s important to be sure your heating system is ready for that first cold snap. A tune-up is the best way to make sure your boil er or furnace is running at peak efficiency. It not only helps keep heating costs down, but regular maintenance also prevents many of the problems that lead to breakdowns.
But what if your heat goes out unexpectedly? Don’t panic. There’s often an easy fix to certain common problems. These easy troubleshooting steps may help you avoid a service call.
Boiler or Furnace Troubleshooting
Work through these steps in order until the problem is resolved:
- Is it your thermostat? Make sure your thermostat is set to a temperature at least 5° above room temperature and set to “heat.” Is it the batteries? Try installing fresh ones.
- Is your system on? Be sure your heating system switch didn’t accidentally get turned off. Turn it on.
- Did you run out of fuel? If you’re on will-call for propane or oil deliveries, and you haven’t checked your tank gauge in a while, you may have run out of fuel. Avoid costly, unnecessary fuel runouts with our automatic delivery service. We track your fuel usage and get a delivery to you before you run low.
- Did you blow a fuse? Circuit breakers can easily trip. If the heating system switch was turned off, turn it back on.
- Does the air filter need to be changed? If the air filter on your furnace is clogged, the system will shut down. Replace it and keep a note on your calendar to check it once a month.
- Check the Boiler. If you have a steam boiler, check the water level gauge. It should at least be half-full. Call us if it isn’t. If you have a hot water boiler, skip this step.
- Reset the System. If none of the preceding steps work, push and hold the Reset button for 30 seconds. Only do this ONCE. Doing it more than once floods the combustion chamber with too much heating oil. That’s an expensive repair job on top of any other repairs you may need.
If none of those steps resolves the problem, call us and we’ll dispatch a technician to get you up and running as soon as possible. Remember, our affordable service plans include annual maintenance and can also help you save money on repairs.