When Should I Replace My Thermostat?
A typical thermostat should last about a decade; after that point, it can start to work less reliably than it should – and as is the case with any heating equipment, you’ll be faced with a choice to repair or replace it.
How do you make that choice? Here are some rules of thumb:
Repair your thermostat if:
- Your furnace/boiler or A/C won’t start – Problem wiring can disconnect your thermostat from your heating and cooling system; a heating and air conditioning professional should be able to fix this problem without replacing the unit.
- Your air conditioner runs constantly – If your A/C won’t shut off, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have a thermostat problem at all – have an air conditioning pro troubleshoot the problem before attempting any repairs.
Replace your thermostat if:
- A battery switch had no effect – If problems and funky display issues persist after you replace your thermostat batteries, you may need a new thermostat.
- You’re experiencing uneven cooling in your home – While indoor temperatures will vary somewhat from room to room, the change shouldn’t be too drastic. If it is, you could be experiencing a cycling problem (that is, your system turns on and off too frequently). One common cause of cycling? A broken thermostat.
- Your thermostat won’t respond to your settings – If your thermostat just won’t do what you’re telling it to do – even if you ask nicely – it may be time for a thermostat upgrade.
Ready To Replace Your Thermostat? Think “Smart”
If you’re ready to replace your thermostat, strongly consider upgrading to a Wi-Fi or smart thermostat like the Honeywell RedLINK models we feature at Dixon Energy. They’ll give you unprecedented control of your home heating and cooling systems and are easy to use – just a few minutes and you’ll be on your way to more comfort and convenience than ever!
Ready to upgrade your current thermostat to a smart model? We can help. Contact the experts at Dixon Energy today to get a FREE, no obligation estimate on a smart thermostat installations in Morris, Somerset, Union or Southern Sussex Count, N.J.!