What Is A Ductless Air Conditioner?
If you’ve been wanting to upgrade your window air conditioners but know that installing ductwork in your NJ home isn’t a realistic possibility, you might think you’re out of luck.
But there is an alternative to window A/Cs that will keep you cool for less and provide other big advantages over their clunky cousins: a ductless air conditioning system.
Ductless Mini-Split A/C 101
How much do you know about these whisper-quiet, high-efficiency cooling marvels? Here are the basics to get you started. To learn more, just ask us!
- A ductless air conditioner (often called a “mini-split”) has two components: one inside the house (called an air handler) and one outside the house (called a condenser for cooling-only models or a heat pump for units that cool and heat). A single condenser can operate up to four air handlers, creating high efficiency cooling “zones.”
- The key advantage of a mini-split system, of course, is that it doesn’t need ductwork.
- It can be installed quickly and cost effectively;
- It can be installed anywhere in your home – from room additions and offices to converted attics and media / data storage rooms where climate control is needed;
- No windows are required, since the unit installs directly into the wall;
- Your air quality will improve, since there are no ducts in which harmful microorganisms can grow and thrive; and
- You won’t lose energy through leaky ducts (in a central air conditioning system, as much as 30 percent of your cool air can be lost this way).
- Another key mini-split advantage is that it is extremely customizable: not only can you vary the size of air handlers for each room, but you can also control the energy spent in each zone via the air handler’s thermostat.
- Unlike window air conditioners, a mini-split system won’t take away your view or provide a way for an intruder to invade your home; All that mini-split system installation requires is a 3-inch hole in your wall to connect the air handler to the condenser.
- Mini-split systems are extremely efficient, with some achieving SEER ratings ranging well into the 20s (most are in the 18-20 range).
- Mini-split systems are extremely quiet – much quieter than a window air conditioner.
- The temperature in a mini-split system is set and changed via remote control.
Hot, sticky days are coming soon to New Jersey – Be ready with high efficiency mini-split A/C installed by the pros at Dixon Energy! Contact us today to learn more about ductless A/C installation in NJ!